The health and wellness industry has had a fair share of its effective and reliable products. Recently, a natural ingredient is taking the world by storm because of its promising health benefits. Often coined as the ‘wonder compound,’ cannabidiol (CBD) is found to offer numerous health advantages while delivering an all-natural and non-intoxicating approach that’s compatible with people of all ages, even pets!
What Is CBD?
Cannabidiol, famously known as CBD, is a cannabinoid compound found in many Cannabis plants, including hemp, Cannabis sativa, and Cannabis indica.
To be useful in wellness and medical applications, CBD has to be extracted from the plant material through various extraction methods:
- Steam distillation
- Carbon dioxide (CO2) extraction
- Natural solvent extraction
- Hydrocarbon solvent extraction
The extracted CBD compound can now be incorporated into different CBD products according to the manufacturer’s formulation and branding.
CBD vs. THC: Why CBD Is Better
CBD is one of the most abundant cannabinoids found in the Cannabis plant, but it’s often confused with another prevalent compound–tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
Many people are still in the dark when it comes to understanding CBD, a reason why most stay away from it. Basically, CBD won’t get you high, unlike THC, so it’s better to opt for products without THC, like THC-free gummies.
Here are significant health benefits of taking CBD:
- Reduces pain and inflammation
- Offers stress and anxiety relief
- Enhances sleep quality
- Has neuroprotective properties that may help treat neurodegenerative disorders
- Has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties for fighting acne
CBD Products and Their Uses
The wonder compound, CBD, is legal in many states and cities, provided that their THC content is less than 0.3%. In some areas, CBD stores may also require a prescription for a customer to make a purchase.
Before buying any CBD products, it’s worth researching first on CFAH about the most common and available CBD products in the market and their uses, which are discussed below:
1. CBD Oils
CBD oil is perhaps the most popular CBD product right now, thanks to its reliability and versatility. Because of CBD’s oil-soluble nature, manufacturers submerge the CBD extract into fatty carrier oils, like medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oils derived from palm kernel oil and coconut oil.
Depending on their cannabinoid content and concentration, CBD oils can be further divided into three categories:
- Full-Spectrum CBD: As the name implies, a full-spectrum CBD oil contains all cannabinoids (CBD, THC, and lesser-known cannabinoids) and plant extracts (terpenes and flavonoids). This type of CBD oil can enhance the therapeutic experience called the ‘entourage effect‘ due to ingredients other than CBD alone.
- Broad-Spectrum CBD: With fewer ingredients, broad-spectrum CBD contains all compounds found in the full-spectrum one except THC to eliminate its psychoactive effects. This way, you can still have a taste of its enhanced benefits without feeling high, but it’s not guaranteed there would be completely no psychoactive effects.
- CBD Isolate: Lastly, the CBD isolate is like the true CBD oil as it contains the least amount of ingredients among the three. A CBD isolates only has CBD in it–no THC, terpenes, flavonoids, and other components. While you may miss out on the entourage effect, you’re assured that there will be no euphoric effects, and it’s also relatively cheaper than other CBD oils.
CBD oils are best taken sublingually or placed under the tongue. You can also consume it through food by cooking, baking, or adding it into your favorite drink.
2. Oral CBD Products
Another consumption method similar to CBD oils is oral CBD products, which are ingested and broken down into your digestive system before being distributed to your entire body. Consuming CBD pills, tablets, and capsules is a more convenient and discreet way to take CBD than CBD oils since the latter requires a dropper.
Since CBD pills and capsules already exist in their actual product form, you simply need to take them orally. However, take note of the correct dosage as suggested by the manufacturer and physician.
CBD capsules with a fine white powder typically contain CBD isolates, while gel capsules filled with liquid have full-spectrum CBD. Meanwhile, most CBD pills and tablets also contain CBD isolate compressed into a solid shape.
3. CBD Edibles
Let’s admit it, capsules, tablets, and pills can be boring! Taking CBD in these forms isn’t pleasant and friendly, especially for children who don’t like swallowing medicine in these formats. Thankfully, CBD edibles got your back!
Essentially, CBD edibles are a line of CBD products that can be chewed and ingested and usually have a pleasant taste. The most famous CBD edible products recently are CBD gummies and chocolates.
Since edibles have to bypass your digestion first, their effects can vary, depending on their weight and fat saturation. It may take longer to take into effect than other CBD products, but it offers longer-lasting relief.
4. CBD Vaping Products
CBD oils are only meant for ingestion, but there’s another type of CBD oil product suitable for vaporization and inhalation through electronic cigarettes and vaping devices. By inhaling these products, you can almost instantly feel its therapeutic benefits as CBD enters your bloodstream upon inhalation, a reason why vaping CBD is superior to most methods.
CBD for vaping usually exists in three forms. Before buying any vaping device and vaping products, make sure that you know their differences:
- CBD Flowers: Using dried CBD flowers and a dry herb vaporizer, you can inhale the vapor produced by CBD flowers of different strains, such as Bubba Kush, Lifter, Hawaiian Haze, and more.
- CBD Vape Juice: While also referred to as vaping oils, CBD vape juices don’t contain oil as their base but propylene glycol (PG) or vegetable glycerin (VG). Vape juices are typically sold in different concentrations and flavors, so you can experiment and find your preferred taste.
- CBD Cartridges: These come in pre-installed, disposable tanks filled with CBD vape juice. Cartridges are ideal for beginners as their entry to CBD vaping.
If you’re looking into vaping CBD, the general rule is to invest in a reliable but affordable e-cigarette first before splurging on more expensive ones.
What You Should Know Before Using CBD Products: Takeaways
CBD has been the talk of the town today for a reason. With its impressive non-psychoactive health benefits, it’s no doubt that many are becoming curious and excited about trying out CBD-infused products.
Now that you have quite a knowledge of different CBD products in the market, it’s time to take the extra caution by determining if the product is compatible with your health needs, preferences, and budget.
Before incorporating CBD products into your health and wellness routine, consulting a health professional is recommended as it’ll help you identify any potential side effects and interactions with your body. If you’re pregnant, breastfeeding, or experiencing a medical condition, it’s necessary to obtain professional advice.
Featured Photo by Kimzy Nanney on Unsplash