When buying a hat, you will surely hear uncommon and unrecognizable terms such as packable, crown, Optimo, brim, and many more. Well, there are a lot of hat terms that you don’t usually hear from a daily conversation, and many of these terms typically refer to the different parts of a hat.
In this article, we will walk you through the anatomy of a hat so you can familiarize yourself with the different hat terms you need to know.
What Are the Different Parts of a Hat?
Each part of a hat has its own purpose, and it varies from offering comfort, providing shade, or simply enhancing the aesthetic appeal of the hat. However, even if each part plays a different role, all of them contribute to the overall experience.
Familiarizing yourself with the different parts of hats and other terms helps you to be able to determine which type of hat suits your preferences more easily. Here are the different parts of a hat that you need to know:
- Brim. It is the horizontal part of the hat that can be turned up or down. Aside from that, snap brims can be turned up in the back or down in the front. The brim does not only help enhance the look of the hat and add style to the wearer, but it can also give you shade and protect your face from too much sunlight. There are different brims, such as wide brim hats and snap-brim hats.
- Crown. If the brim is the horizontal part of a hat, the vertical portion refers to the crown. This is the part of the hat where you can see the famous “crease” or “pinch.”
- Hat Band. It is a decorative band that is wrapped around the crown of a hat. This part adds up to the aesthetic appeal of the hat, and it can be made from various materials such as grosgrain and leather.
- Sweatband. This part can be found in the inside portion of the hat. It has two different functions. The first one is to give a more comfortable fit and feel, and the second one can be inferred from its name, which is to prevent the sweat from seeping into the material or the hat itself. Sweatbands can be made from cowhide leather, genuine sheepskin, or cotton. Nowadays, most modern hats have an elastic or adjustable sweatband, so the hat can be flexible and provide a more comfortable fit.
- Lining. The lining can be found in the hat’s interior, and they are usually made from satin fabric. This fabric provides a more comfortable fit and helps protect the hat from sweat and stains.
- Snap Brim. This part is usually found on fedoras and hats with similar shapes. This allows the hat to be worn up or snapped down. There is also a wide brim hat that can give you more shade.
Something to Ponder On
Knowing the different hat terms can help you understand hats better. When you know more about hats, then you can definitely make a better decision when buying one! So, don’t forget about these terms when you go shopping for a hat!
Featured Image by Jeff Glovsky from Pixabay