Home Entertainment 5 Betting Strategies to Use During the Saratoga Racing Season

5 Betting Strategies to Use During the Saratoga Racing Season

5 Betting Strategies to Use During the Saratoga Racing Season
Photo by Bence Szemerey: https://www.pexels.com/

The Saratoga racing season is upon us! In this month-long celebration, there are a lot of events that you definitely shouldn’t miss, especially the races. There will be a lot of well-known horses, trainers, owners, and jockeys participating, so you can bet you’re behind that it will be enormous. 

If you want to try your luck, we have some strategies worth looking into if you want to profit more during this long racing season. It will be a blast, so you shouldn’t miss out on them. With all that said, here are some horse racing betting strategies you could use during the Saratoga racing season.

Yankee Strategy

Let’s hit it off first with the father of all horse betting strategies, the Yankee strategy. The betting strategy has been around for ages, and some speculate it was thought of in the same year horse racing was invented. There is no evidence for that, but it doesn’t matter. What matters is that it works, and here’s how to use it.

To succeed in this strategy, you will be betting on multiple bets on race in the Saratoga race course, precisely 11 with equal value. These bets will consist of six doubles, four trebles, and a single fourfold. You need to win at least two of these bets to win with this strategy. However, this depends on whether you choose to have a win or each-way Yankee.

This strategy appeals to many bettors because of the generous payout you can have, especially if you win more than two bets using this strategy. This is the reason why a lot of people, even veterans, still use this strategy today.

Boxing Strategy

No, we’re not talking about boxing with this one. We mean to box your bets. We’re not talking about inviting the person behind the booth to box either because we are explicitly talking about another way of making exotic bets. If you don’t know what’s an exotic bet, exotic bets are challenging to wager with, including exacta, trifecta, superfecta, pick 2, etc.

So how do they work? Let’s look at the simplest one, which is the exacta. In an exacta bet, you must bet on two horses that will win the first and second place. Your horses need to be in the correct order. For example, let’s say that you bet on #4 and #5 to win the first two places, respectively. If you bet on #5 to win first, followed by #4, you lose the bet. Quite challenging, suitable?

But with the boxing strategy, you can instead box your bets, which means you will put on a boxed exacta bet. This means that you will still win even if the places are switched, and of course, you can do this with the other exotic bets.


Now this is quite a simple one. Using this strategy, you must bet on the same horse on two bookies. However, on your first one, you need to bet on the horse to win the race, while on the second, you’ll bet for the horse to lose, essentially laying the horse. 

If either of these bets wins, you’ll still get the same profit. This is fitting for people experiencing a losing streak and wanting to build their bankroll back little by little.


In horse racing, things are very unpredictable. One moment, the horse you’re betting on is leading the race, and in the next, it’s suddenly passed by three other contenders. That’s pretty frustrating, which is why this might be a strategy that you want to look into. In this strategy, you will divide your bet into two parts.

80% of your bet will be wagered on the horse placed at the end of the race. The remaining 20% will be put on a bet for the horse to win. That said, if the situation above arises again, you can bet on either the horse’s place in the race or if the horse wins outright.

Laying the Favorite

In horse racing, we have what we call a false favorite. This is a favorite that even though they are categorized as the most likely to win by the bookie, they have the same chances as the other horses. 

In essence, it doesn’t have an advantage over its competitors, so there’s a big chance it will not win. This is where you strike, as in this situation; you will lay the favorite instead of betting on it to win. And remember, laying the favorite has a much bigger payout, so you shouldn’t miss that chance.

Final Words

The Saratoga racing season is long, starting in July and ending in September. This means there will be many betting opportunities and payouts during this month-long event. This is also a good time to test your luck and the strategies you learned from this article. With that said, good luck.

Featured Photo by Bence Szemerey: https://www.pexels.com/