My journey to losing weight has never been easy. It was like an exhaustive trek in a huge steep mountain. Sometimes, I almost want to quit, go back, and just embrace my bulky figure so I can save myself from all the hassle and pain of dieting. Little did I know that an easier path can be taken in order to lose my extra weight and finally gain that ideal physique I’ve always dreamed of. Yes, I’m talking about Ketogenic Dieting or Keto Diet!
Keto Diet was introduced to me by a good friend with an amazing body. She was talking passionately about keto food, keto bread, and keto benefits, and her body justifies what she’s saying. So I figured; why not give it a shot? If keto diet and eating keto bread have worked for her, then maybe it will work for me as well! Basically, keto diet is a low-carb diet wherein the body finds an alternative energy source called ketones.
These ketones are produced when our liver burns fats because there are fewer carbohydrates to use as energy. Logically, once there are many carbohydrates, the fats are stored rather than burned which makes people gain more weight and be more prone to diabetes. But I won’t talk much about keto diet here because I want to talk more about the best keto bread that I have been crazy about lately. Yes! Even a weight watcher can eat bread so long as it is keto bread, and it would be a great deal better if you bake them yourself.
Here, I listed 2 keto bread recipes you can try on various occasions and even on a daily basis. These recipes are not mine, but they are so mouthwatering and very easy to bake, so I think they are worth sharing.
Here they are with their original sources and some of my notes:
1. Thanks Giving Bread by My Heart Beets
- 1 tablespoon of grass-fed organic ghee or fat of choice
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 stalks of chopped celery
- ½ cup of walnuts
- 1 1/2 cup of almond flour
- ½ cup of coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 10 finely chopped sage leaves,
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 2-3 cooked and crumbles bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Melt the ghee in a medium-heated pan.
3. Add the celery and onion to the pan. Sauté them for 5 minutes and add the walnuts. Sauté for another few minutes and set them aside first.
3. In a huge bowl, combine the coconut flour, almond flour, salt, baking soda, rosemary, sage, and nutmeg. Mix them well.
4. Add the sautéed onion mixture into the bowl along with the eggs and chicken broth.
5. Mix the ingredients until well combined.
6. Fold the prepared bacon crumbles into the batter.
7. Spread the deliciously thick batter into the loaf pan and bake it for at 350 for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Notes: What makes this Thanks Giving bread a keto bread is its main ingredients which include the walnuts, almond flour, and coconut flour not to mention the protein-enriched eggs and chicken broth. Walnuts and almonds are very healthy and can provide you energy even without some carbs in it!
2. Grain Free Cashew “Sourdough” Bread by the Urban Poser
- 10 ounces raw cashews or cashew pieces* (cashew pieces are generally cheaper)
- 4 ounces filtered water (about half a cup)
- Enough probiotic capsules to equal about 30-40 billion strains***
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon filtered water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg yolk plus 1 teaspoon water for egg wash
1. Blend cashews and filtered water together until it becomes very smooth
2. Transfer the thick mixture to a ceramic or glass bowl and add the probiotic water. Stir well.
3. Cover the bowl and place it in the middle of your oven with the light on. Similar to making yogurt, the mixture must be in a slightly warm oven just between 105-110 degrees. Leave it for at least 12 – 20 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 325 -300 degrees for convection on the next day.
5. Grease and line your pan with a parchment paper.
6. Beat the egg whites using a whisk until smooth and carefully fold them into the batter until egg whites can no longer be seen.
7. Transfer the batter to the pan and gently smooth the top. Batter MUST fill the pan about 3/4 full, or you will not get a nice round loaf.
8. Whisk together the egg yolk and water smoothly. Next, brush the prepared egg wash on the bread batter top.
9. Bake at for at least 325-300 degrees for convection ovens.
10. Keep the bread inside the oven and increase the temperature to 375 degrees. Let it bake for another 5-10 minutes or until you see a crusty and golden top.
The main ingredient that I love about this keto bread is the high-caloric raw cashew which is perfect for if you want an energy boost. It takes a more than a day to bake it, but it so worth it once you’ve tasted it in your mouth. In my case, I bake this almost once a week and even my friends are in love with this keto bread! It is not just nutritious but also very smooth and delicious.
There it is! After reading these keto bread recipes, it is now time to bake some! I hope that these two can even be your favorites once you get to try them. But if you are still looking for other keto bread recipes with a specific ingredient, I suggest you browse the sources I mentioned here. They are really good, and you can find mouthwatering recipes there just like I did! Plus, the recipes are easy to make!