A few months ago, I heard about ketogenic diet and its benefits. Since I have been looking for a regimen that would help me quickly lose weight, I immediately decided to try it. However, I find it challenging whenever I create my keto diet plans, especially during the first few days from the moment I adopted this particular diet.
I had to spend a considerable amount of time creating my keto shopping list to serve as my guide. I also searched for other new keto diet plans so I would have a variety of menus to choose from. But despite my struggles, I decided to stick with this diet because of its benefits.
Reasons I Choose to Follow a Ketogenic Diet
Before I decided to follow a ketogenic diet, I made a comparison among the other diet regimens. The following are the advantages of ketogenic diet which I liked the most:
- Weight Loss
Weight loss, when following keto diet plans, is rapid because of the low carbohydrate intake requirement. As a result, your body is forced to use stored fats and reduce insulin production, and this leads to weight loss.
When compared to a high-carb, low-fat diet, the ketogenic diet is seen to have better outcomes.
- Improves Mental Focus
Our diet plays a huge role in our mental health. When we eat unhealthy food, our brain can’t get the nutrients that it needs in order to function correctly. Hence, we may experience an imbalance in our day to day activities.
To help improve our mental focus, it is essential to eat the right kinds of food just like those included in keto diet plans which are low in carbohydrates and high in fat. The decrease in carb intake prevents a sudden increase in blood sugar while boosts the ketone levels. These two occurrences in the body contribute to the improvement of mental focus.
Another factor that further helps mental focus is the increase in fat consumption in keto diet plans that raise the fatty acid in the body. Omegas 3 and 6 are some of the essential fatty acids that make up most of the brain tissue, and these are also needed for the proper brain functioning.
- Boosts Energy
Fats are one of the most reliable fuels for the body. Through keto dieting, the fat supply in the body is increased. Thus, the body will feel more energized.
According to studies on ketosis, diets help reduce the free radicals in the body and at the same time enhances the mitochondrial functions. These two actions help with the boost of energy.
Other benefits of a ketogenic-based diet:
- Controls Blood Sugar
Since the food in keto diet plans is low in carbohydrates, the glucose level in the blood is kept quiet. In fact, there is research which shows that a keto diet meal plan is a better option for a low-calorie diet when it comes to managing and even preventing diabetes.
- Treats Epilepsy
The use of ketogenic diet has been used since 1900 to treat children, who are suffering from uncontrollable epilepsy that don’t respond with medications. However, this option needs a close supervision from experts so that the intake can be monitored carefully.
- Improves Cholesterol Level and Blood Pressure
Although keto diet plans have high-fat content, it does not increase the body’s cholesterol level and does not clog the arteries. Newer studies revealed that a diet consisting of low carbohydrates like with a ketogenic diet is beneficial to one’s health as it optimizes the level of cholesterol.
The Different Classifications of Ketogenic Diet
The primary goal of a ketogenic diet is to achieve ketosis, and there are several ways to attain this. There are also different varieties of the ketogenic diet with similarities like low carbohydrate and high fiber content.
Here are some of the most common ketogenic diets:
- Standard ketogenic diet or SKD
The SKD consists of 5 to 10 percent carbohydrates, 20 percent protein and 70 to 75 percent fats. In this type of diet, a majority of the caloric intake is provided by the fats, and the amount would depend on the daily activities. Thus, it can be increased or decreased accordingly.
- MCT ketogenic diet
This follows the same ratio with SKD, but most of its fats come from medium chain triglycerides or MCTs which come from coconut oil. This type of ketogenic diet is utilized to treat epilepsy in children.
- High-protein ketogenic diet
Instead of 20 to 25 percent of protein, the amount is raised 35 percent in a high ketogenic diet. This is ideal for people whose primary goal is to lose weight.
Variety of Ketogenic Diet Recipes Using Different Ingredients
I was often told by my mom not to skip breakfast because it is the most important meal of the day. But in ketogenic diet skipping breakfast is an option, and it is achievable since a low carbohydrate diet will lessen the feeling of hunger.
If you’re like me who still wants to eat breakfast, then make keto diet plans which are not only low in carbohydrates but also delicious and satisfying.
Here are some of my favorite breakfast keto diet plans which are very simple to prepare:
Pancakes With Lemon Poppy Seeds
I included this in my keto diet plans because this is one of the fluffiest pancake recipes that I have tried. The main ingredients of this recipe which make it fluffier are cream cheese and eggs. The cream cheese can be substituted with other cheeses with mild flavors.
- 13 oz. cream cheese
- 6 eggs (large)
- 2 lemons (large)
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ poppy seeds
- 25 drops liquid stevia
- ¼ sea salt
1. In a food processor, mix all the wet ingredients, ½ lemon juice and zest and then blend for a few seconds until thoroughly combined.
2. Gradually add the dry ingredients and mix well.
3. Heat a pan and start making pancakes by scooping ⅔ cups of the mixture onto the griddle. Cook one side for 5 to 6 minutes or until it becomes golden brown. Flip and then continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
Traditional Bacon and Eggs
My keto diet plans are not complete without this recipe which, for me, is the ultimate keto breakfast, and even those who are not on a ketogenic diet would still love this recipe. This is best when organic bacon is used because it has fewer additives and it is more flavorful. You also have the option to eat as many eggs as you want since it does not contain carbohydrates.
- 8 eggs
- 5 ⅓ oz. sliced bacon
- Fresh parsley
- Cherry tomatoes
1. Heat a pan and cook the bacon until crisp. Set aside.
2. Use the bacon grease in cooking the egg. Add halved cherry tomatoes and fry it together with the eggs.
3. Add salt and pepper.
Keto diet plans should always have a grab and go recipe that can be prepared ahead of time just like this keto muffin. It only has four ingredients and can be prepared within a minute. You also have the option to change the ingredients to make about 5 variations of this muffin.
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons coconut flour
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of baking soda
- Butter or coconut oil
1. Grease muffin cans with coconut oil or butter.
2. Mix the ingredients and make sure there are no lumps in the mixture.
3. Fill ¾ of the muffin can with the mixture and bake in an oven for 13 minutes, at a temperature of 200 C.
4. Divide in half and serve.
Your keto diet plans can be altered by using the following ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon sweetener (for a sweet muffin)
- 1 teaspoon sweetener and 2 teaspoons nut butter (for a nutty flavor)
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheese and 1 teaspoon chopped chive
- 1 teaspoon sweetener and 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese and chopped spinach
The keto diet plans I included for lunch are something exciting but easy to prepare. This is contrary to what most people think that ketosis diets are boring which discourages people from trying it.
Keto Coleslaw Wrapped in Cabbage
Using collard to wrap your food is a great way to add greens and vegetables to your keto diet plans. The filling can be prepared ahead of time and frozen, so you can just thaw it when needed.
- 3 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup green onions (diced)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lbs. ground meat of your choice, cooked
- 16 collard leaves with stems removed
- ⅓ cup alfalfa sprouts
1. Combine all coleslaw ingredients, making sure that it is coated evenly.
2. Remove the stems from the collard and scoop 1 spoonful of coleslaw at the center. Add a spoon of meat and top with sprouts.
3. Roll then tuck the sides. Use a toothpick to secure the wrap.
Avocado and Tuna Salad
To make your keto diet plans work, you have to incorporate food that you love in your menu. Just like this recipe using avocado as the main ingredient. Even before I started a ketogenic diet, I already love eating avocado, and that is why I enjoy this dish a lot.
- 1 avocado
- 1 juiced lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onions
- 5 oz. cooked tuna
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. Cut the avocado in half and scrape off some of it into a bowl, leaving about ¼ inch thick flesh.
2. Mix the avocado in the bowl tuna and onions. Add lemon juice, sea salt, and pepper depending on your taste.
3. Scoop the mixture and place it inside the avocado shells.
Making keto diet plans for dinner is something that I enjoy doing because I can have the most protein during this meal. Delicious side dishes can also be added to the main dish.
Slow Cooked Beef and Broccoli
- 2 lbs. beef flank (sliced into chunks)
- 1 cup beef broth
- ⅔ cup liquid aminos
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons sweetener
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper flakes
1. Place the beef in the preheated slow cooker together with the broth, aminos, sweetener, ginger, pepper, garlic and salt.
2. Cook for 5 to 6 hours.
3. Slice the pepper and broccoli.
4. Stir the beef when it is thoroughly cooked, then add the broccoli and pepper.
5. Add sesame seeds and serve.
Crockpot Double Beef Stew
- 5 lbs. beef stew
- 2 pieces 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon chili mix
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- Salt to taste
1. Add all the ingredients in a crockpot, mix well, and then set the temperature to high. Cook for 6 hours.
2. Use a fork to break the meat. Add salt, and then cook for another 2 hours.
Easy Procedures on How to Prepare Your Keto Food
Once I have my keto diet plans ready, I can now start preparing for the entire week. I usually follow the procedures below so I can systematically observe my keto diet meal plan:
1. Make a keto shopping list.
Stock your pantry with all the ingredients. It is easier to follow with a ketogenic diet when all you need is readily available when you want to prepare any of the recipes.
2. Prepare the ingredients ahead of time.
If there are vegetables that need to be prepared, do it ahead of time so you can quickly make the meals.
3. Cook the meals during weekends or your free time.
If there are recipes in your keto diet plans that can be prepared ahead of time, you can pre-cook them and just freeze. You can thaw and reheat the food when needed.
Committing to follow a ketogenic diet may be challenging, especially to people who are new to this strategy. But, if you make concrete keto diet plans by researching easy to prepare food, you will have an easier time as you journey to become healthier.