I recently landed on a new company that cares about the quality of the food they produce and the health of the people eating, so True Story has gone above and beyond to produce delicious organic and GMO free meat that we can all love.
While looking into this company more I ran across these 3 recipes that are absolutely tasty and perfect for the summer, so pick one and give it a try, I promise you will not be disappointed.
Colorful Coleslaw with Chicken
We’ve given traditional coleslaw a protein boost by adding our Organic True Story Organic Thick Cut Chicken. It’s perfect for meal planning and can be used as a healthy sandwich filling or pack it for lunch as a salad on its own.
Makes 4 servings
- ¼ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- ¼ cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage, (¼ of a small head)
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage, (¼ of a small head)
- 1 cup grated carrots, (2 medium)
- 1 package (6 oz) True Story Organic Thick Cut Oven-Roasted Chicken Breast
- Garnish: chopped cilantro or parsley, optional
- Whisk together mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard and vinegar in a large bowl. Add cabbage and carrots and chicken breast and toss until ingredients are coated.
- Divide into 4 portions, garnish with cilantro or parsley. Serve with a crusty whole grain baguette.
True Story Wheat berry, Toasted Walnut, Cranberry, Broccoli and Chicken Sausage
This wheat berry salad is packed full of flavor and nutrition. Made with fruit, vegetables, and our True Story Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage, it’s hearty enough for a warm weeknight dinner or a filling lunch.
Makes 4 servings
- 3 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1 bunch broccoli, chopped into bite sized pieces (2 cups)
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package of True Story Sweet Italian Sausage, cut on diagonal into ½-inch slices
- Bring water, salt, and wheat berries to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and cover; simmer for 40 minutes and begin checking for doneness. Add broccoli and cranberries. Continue to cook for 5 minutes until wheat berries are cooked through; they will be chewy but not hard.
- Meanwhile, whisk together balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil.
- Toast walnuts in small skillet over low-medium heat until fragrant, being careful not to burn.
- Place wheat berries, broccoli, dried cranberries and walnuts in a large bowl. Toss with dressing.
- Spray a medium skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Add sausage and cook until browned, 3-5 minutes.
Fold sausage into wheat berry mixture and serve immediately.
True Story Bahn Mi Sandwich with True Story Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dogs
Spice up your mid-week dinner with this modern take on a traditional Vietnamese sandwich. We’ve replaced pork and pate with a True Story hot dog and paired it with some homemade pickles.
Makes 5 sandwiches
For the pickled vegetables
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup shredded daikon radish
- ¾ cup thinly sliced English cucumbers
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
For the sauce
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha, or to taste
For the sandwich
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 5 True Story Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dog, sliced in half lengthwise
- 5 small hero rolls, sliced in half and toasted, or hot dog buns, toasted
- 15 fresh mint leaves, or to taste
- 10 Cilantro sprigs, or to taste
- To make the pickled vegetables: In a bowl, toss together the carrots, daikon, cucumber, vinegar, and sugar. Let stand at room temperature while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- In another small bowl mix together the mayonnaise with the Sriracha. Set aside until ready to assemble the sandwich.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add hot dogs, flat side down and cook for about 2 minutes on each side until browned and heated through. (Note: the hot dogs taste delicious on the grill. If you are grilling, skip the oil and slice after you cook.)
- Remove from heat.
- Spread about a tablespoon of mayonnaise mixture onto both sides of the roll or bun. Add an even amount of pickled vegetables to each. Top with 2 hot dog slices. Finish the sandwich with some mint leaves and cilantro sprigs. If using the hero roll, top with other bread half. Enjoy immediately!
True Story’s all-natural line-up offers a wide range of products such as:
- Organic Beef Fed Hot Dogs – perfect for those summer grilling and Best Hot Dogs articles
- Organic Apple & Wildflower Honey Chicken Sausage
- Organic Uncured Applewood Smoked Ham
- Organic Thick Cut Oven Roasted Chicken Breast—a 2017 Expo East NEXTY Winner