Planning a Holiday Trip to Pondicherry for an Exciting Vacation
Pondicherry is a vibrant city that covers has a lot of attractions for tourists to tour. It is a union territory in India, which is a popular one for beautiful beaches and other things. The city is well-known for its French architectural buildings that attract a lot of tourists from various parts of the world. Located in the southern part of India, the destination is an excellent choice for those who want to spend their vacation and weekend with a loved one or family. The area is also well known for its beaches, with many tourists spending their time relaxing on the warm sand.
Review our top 6 places to visit in Pondicherrytop 6 places to visit in Pondicherry, allowing you to create great lasting memories of your trip.
1. Pondicherry Museum
Pondicherry Museum is the most noteworthy one enabling visitors to get up and personal with the historical and cultural treasures of India. Tourists can view the collection of rare stone sculptures and bronzes which belong to Pallava, Chola, and other dynasties up close. In addition, the museum houses French furniture and artifacts of Roman emperors who lived in the city. It is open from Monday to Saturday from 9.30 am to 6.30 pm.
2. Botanical Gardens
The botanical gardens in Pondicherry covers more than 1,500 plant species from across the world in 22 acres. Moreover, the garden organizes a musical fountain show every weekend; the time may vary depending on the occasion or season. Built-in ornate French style, the park houses several features allowing tourists to enjoy the beautify scenery. Some of park features include an aquarium, a Japanese rock structure, fountains, and more.
3. Exploring the French Colony
Visitors can rent for hire two-wheelers to explore the rich cultural heritage and diversity of French colonial life up close. Anyone who prefers a walking tour to the French colony should approach French and English speaking guides. Apart from that, tourists can find different types of cultural and historical places within the colony itself.
4. Chunnambar Backwater
Chunnambar Boathouse is a perfect choice for tourists to take a boat ride with the family. Located along the Cuddalore main road, it allows visitors to view the exotic beauty of nature and birds in a peaceful environment. Both motor and pedal boats are available for tourists enabling them to get the full view of the lake.
5. Scuba diving
Pondicherry is home to beautiful beaches with a wide range of marine life. It is an ideal location for scuba diving activities, allowing divers the chance to see some of the finest sea creatures such as corals, sea snakes, kingfish, and so on. There are many professional dive operations in the area to take you out on the water.
6. Sunset at Ousteri Lake
Ousteri Lake in Pondicherry is a manmade Lake which has marshy lands and mudflats. It is the best place for those who want to enjoy the soothing sunrise in the early morning. In addition, the lake is a perfect destination for bird lovers enabling them to access the migratory and residential birds with ease.
Travel tips to Pondicherry
1. Although Tamil is the widely language spoken in Pondicherry, many people speak English for communication purposes. French is also widely used in some areas allowing tourists to plan a trip without any difficulties.
2. Tourists should drink bottled water instead of tap water. It is advisable to stay away from street foods because they will cause health problems. Those who want to eat them should make sure that they are hygienic to avoid unwanted issues.
3. Visitors should carry a small pouch that is having sanitizers and medicines to minimize health complications. It is advisable to keep mosquito repellent ready while making a trip to Pondicherry.
4. The culture of Pondicherry is entirely different from other cities, and visitors should carry traditional clothes over western outfits. It is not a cold place, and tourists can keep light jackets with them.
5. Narcotic substance is strictly prohibited in Pondicherry. Although alcohol is available at lower prices, it is not advisable to use the same in public places. Smoking in important areas can result in heavy fines and other legal issues.
6. The climate in Pondicherry is often humid. Foreign nationals should carry their Yellow Fever Vacation certificate and copies of important documents while visiting certain places.
7. Tourists should wear traditional clothes and remove footwear before entering a shrine, church, or mosque. It is a wise one to know the customs followed in religious places to plan a trip accordingly.
8. Public transportation is very good in the city and tourists can use them when they travel to other places. All buses are well-equipped with the latest facilities allowing tourists to make a fine trip.
9. It is advisable not to travel alone in remote areas during the night to avoid robbery and other problems. Travelers should also avoid carrying large amounts of cash while traveling in buses and lonely areas.
Where to stay in Pondicherry?
Pondicherry is home to several international hotels. However, there are some budget hotels available in the city, allowing tourists to ensure better accommodation at reasonable prices. Pondicherry hotels offer different types of packages for tourists, and they can choose the right one, which fits their budgets. They even show ways to enjoy a vacation with family and others in a comfortable environment to witness more of the sounding beauty.
There are several hotel websites that provide packages for tourists at the best prices to save money. One can select the right one among them after doing your research online. It is possible to book Pondicherry hotels online with ease. On the other hand, it is an important one to contact the customer support team to get more information about packages, return policies, and other things to make an informed decision. Most hotels aim to fulfill your highest expectations and the convenience of modern amenities to avoid any discomfort to there guests.