Everyone has heard about SIP trunking. But far from everyone understands what it is and how SIP-telephony differs from the usual telecommunication. Let’s take a closer look at the modern solutions and dig deeper into the great features it has.
SIP Telephony: What It Is & How It Works
Being a data transfer protocol, SIP can be compared to a “language” that helps devices understand each other and perform data exchange without any errors. It is used for many purposes – for IP-telephony, video and audio conferencing, and even online games. Simply put, it works according to a “client-server” scheme by constantly alternating requests and responses. It can even help you with encrypted calling – check how it works from the technical side.
Although there are other protocols for IP telephony, SIP is today a universal standard for info exchange over a network. Experts consider it the most promising technology, which is most often used by different categories of users. SIP-telephony is available at any place where the Internet speed is at least 64 Kbps, which means – almost everywhere.
IP telephony enables you to bind a number not to a specific location but to a specific user. This is a great feature that opens broad possibilities, for example, for analytics. After all, you can learn much more about the client by dint of call tracking.
How to Make & Receive Calls Using SIP?
- you can use a pc or laptop if you install a special program (SIP client) on it and equip it with an earphone and a microphone;
- do it via WI-FI or 3g / 4g using SIP programs for tablets and mobile phones;
- use a special stationary SIP phone that is connected to the router;
- connect a regular phone to the VoIP gateway, which is connected to the router.
How Does SIP Telephony Work
- During the call, a special program compresses the voice of the client into a digital signal, which speeds up communication and reduces network load;
- The signal is transmitted to the device the company uses (it can be a pc, SIP phone, etc.);
- Two devices connect based on their IP-address and start a communication session using the SIP protocol;
- The signal is again converted to analog, and the manager who receives the call hears the usual voice of the client.
Based on all it great features and functional sets, this type of telephony is extremely convenient and practical that it actively replaces traditional telephony. First of all, it beneficial to businesses, allowing enterprises to establish communication channels economically and quickly. The advantages of SIP telephony are obvious, especially when it comes to various organizations, community centers, call centers, etc. What is more, there is nothing to prevent this technology from being used at home. An increasing number of people have at home IP phones instead of landlines. And this is no surprise at all. Become one of them and get the best out of using a revolutionary solution.
Image credits: Image credits