Ice cream has always been one of the most-loved desserts around the world, and keto ice cream is starting to become popular as well. From someone who loves ice cream and is also on a ketogenic diet, I’ve been continuously on the lookout for these types of desserts.
I’ve been making my own ice cream even before following the keto diet, and it is a delight to see that keto ice cream is now possible. Having it ready-to-eat is advantageous, especially if you don’t have the time to prepare it yourself.
Before sharing my own keto ice cream recipe, here are a few things to know about the keto diet that you would find helpful.
Keto Diet Defined
A keto diet is a type of diet that focuses on high quantities of fat, moderate quantities of protein, and low quantities of carbohydrates.
It may sound ridiculous at first because we all think we know the inherent dangers of eating too much fat. However, if you understand how the human body operates, it will be easy to comprehend how this diet works.
Fat is not necessarily dangerous for you. Consuming food that is both high in fat and high in carbohydrates is what makes it harmful. When cutting down on carbs, the body begins to use its stored fat as the primary energy source. With that, blood sugar and insulin levels stay within the normal range and your body starts to regulate better.
According to the website Man vs. Weight, diets that are high in fat raises HDL (good cholesterol) concentrations and, at the same time, turns LDL (bad cholesterol) from being compact into something frothy.
HDL act like cleaners, carrying out excess LDL out of the system. More HDL to sweep away softer LDL also means that arteries are essentially less clogged than before.
Thus, eating keto desserts, like keto ice cream and keto brownies, could actually be good for your health in the long run.
No-churn Keto Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
- ¼ teaspoon of cream of tartar or apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup of Erythritol or any other low-carb, natural sweetener
- 1 ¼ cups of coconut milk cream, very cold and straight out of the fridge, or dairy-free heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon of sugar-less vanilla extract or one vanilla bean
- 4 eggs
Note: To reduce the danger of contracting Salmonella, you have to pasteurize the eggs first. To do it, just put water in a large sauce dish enough to cover the eggs. Heat the water up to around 60 degrees Celsius (140 degrees Fahrenheit) before placing the eggs. Keep them in the water for 2 to 3 minutes. Let them cool before using.
1. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Whisk the egg whites and put the cream of tartar into the mix. Continue to whip until the solution thickens.
2. Add the natural sweetener or Erythritol and continue whisking until you make firm crests out of the mixture.
3. Whisk the coconut milk cream in a separate container, this time, wait until soft crests are formed. Avoid whisking too much into the
4. Get a third container and beat the egg yolks. Add the vanilla extract or vanilla bean to the yolks. You can combine both vanilla extract and vanilla bean for more flavor.
5. Gently combine the aerated egg whites to the whipped coconut milk cream using a spatula.
6. Also, combine the beaten egg yolks with vanilla extract to the egg whites and whipped cream concoction. Make sure they are thoroughly mixed by using a spatula.
7. Put the resulting blend in small containers and freeze for 2 to 4 hours.
8. Enjoy your keto ice cream.
Here are some of the benefits of eating keto ice cream.
1. Helps control weight
It is the most common goal of keto practitioners. Continually burning fat helps prevent weight gain and promotes gaining lean muscle mass if you are exercising.
2. Regulates blood sugar and insulin levels
Keto food, like the keto ice cream mentioned above, helps regulate blood sugar and insulin levels in the body. This is good for people with Type 2 diabetes.
3. Keeps you feeling full
Hunger pangs are the enemies of those who want to manage their food consumption. When the body uses fat as its primary source of energy, sensations of hunger are reduced. This happens because your insulin level remains normal.
4. Boosts energy and focus
Too much sugar in the blood results in feelings of lethargy and irritability. Having the right amounts in your system will help you become more energetic and focused throughout the day. That is why I enjoy eating keto desserts.
5. Aids in proper digestion
Another benefit of the keto diet is aiding the body in digesting food more efficiently. However, this will take time as the body adjusts to the new diet.
While following the keto diet can initially be tough, just like any other diet plan, but persevering will give a lot of health benefits in the future. It is best to start small when it comes to these kinds of diet. Making keto ice cream a part of your everyday meal is a good start.