SEO Strategy for Online Publications
If you’re into news or the publishing business, and you’re producing a lot of digital content on a daily basis, your website will soon be overloaded with pages and posts, and your users are most likely going to find it cluttered and hard to navigate. This is where your SEO strategy is important, while this may seem like a purely an ascetics problem to amateurs, it spreads far beyond these limits, costing your business a lot in terms of visitor time spent on your site, and consequently–your profits. Having a WordPress SEO expert by your side is an excellent way to achieve this. Calling in an expert is the best way to ensure you’re on the right path; therefore, you should look for someone that offers you affordable prices and quality results within a reasonable timeframe, while also explaining everything to you along the way
Even though using an online publication website can help you deal with these issues successfully, you should take SEO into serious consideration too, as your revenue will still depend on the number of visitors and page views you get, as well as your bounce rate and how long your visitors spend exploring your website.
Here are a few ways to make an effective SEO strategy and raise the odds of generating a lot of traffic.
Focus on your site’s architecture
As you’re going to post fresh and usually highly time-sensitive content on a daily or weekly basis, your site architecture needs to be tailored to your publishing needs, making it easy for your visitors to navigate both to your archive and your newly added content.
How you organize your website will influence how search engines are going to crawl, interpret, index, and rank your content, so there are a few things you should take into consideration.
- Use indexing–All your new content needs to be indexed by Google, so create a sitemap and update it regularly, which will make it easier for the crawlers to find it. Another benefit of indexing is keeping a large number of links close to the webpages, organized by tags or themes, easy to reach by your visitors.
- Use pagination or infinite scroll–Since you’ll have a lot of content, the best way is to show it to your users in bits. Pagination will divide your content into pages, making it easier for the user to find the specific content they are looking for. A good example of pagination is Hong Kong based publication Week in China. On the other side, the infinite scroll will allow your visitors to keep on scrolling until they’ve found something that catches their attention. Both of the solutions have their pros and cons, and your choice will depend on the content you provide your audience, as well as the habits of your target audience.
- Use categories and tags–to group your content. Adding links to a category or tag pages will benefit your SEO, as they have anchor text which is important for your website. Still, you’ll need to make great category pages in order to keep your visitors from bouncing off.
Get ready to be discovered
Once you have a high-quality piece of content, you’re ready to optimize it and make it easy to be discovered both by search engines and your potential visitors doing their online search. To be able to do so, you’ll need to focus on several things.
- Use keywords– Optimize your publication website using keywords in page titles, meta descriptions, page URLs, anchor text, links to other articles, and other relevant places.
- Optimize your images–A picture is worth a thousand words, but it can take an eternity to load, too, if not properly optimized. Make sure all your images are in the right format; it is key to ensure that all images load quickly; you can do this by making them the right size and quality. Also, include image filenames and alt attributes, to make them easier to find in the Google images search.
- Don’t use duplicate content –Google will penalize you for using duplicate content, even if it’s duplicate internally, so do your best to avoid it.
Make your site run smoothly
Your site has to be fully operational, and it has to run perfectly if you want to rank well in searches that provide your users with a great experience. This means your website has to load fast, which depends on many things, such as whether you are using a CDN to deliver your content as quickly as possible, whether your images are optimized, how many redirects you have, etc. To rank better in Google, tweak whatever you can to make your website load faster.
Since 40% of internet users perform their searches only on their mobile phones, make sure your website is mobile-friendly.
Use social media as an effective SEO Strategy
To boost your search engine ratings, make sure you use all the power you can get from social media channels. Post regularly and constantly, and use relevant, well-tailored content to attract some qualified traffic to your website. Find out the best days and hours for posting on each platform you use and monitor your metrics. Also, be sure to add social media buttons on your website, as that will help your visitors start following you on different channels and spread the word about your company.
Use these steps to optimize your online SEO Strategy for search engines and get ready to handle a surge in traffic.
AUTHOR BIO: Jacob Wilson is a business consultant, and an organizational psychologist, based in Brisbane. Passionate about marketing, social networks, and business in general. In his spare time, he writes a lot about new business strategies and digital marketing for Bizzmark blog.