One of the best ways to gain control of tools and accessories is with a good wall organization system. Pegboards are designed as a convenient way to display your tools, garden items, outdoor toys, and whatever else needs to be stored so that you can view and access them easily. While you might be sold on the idea of putting up a pegboard system, you still have some decisions to make.
Pegboards actually come in several styles and are made of different materials. Here are the pros and cons of the three main types of pegboard organization systems: composite, metal, and plastic.
Composite Pegboard Systems
A composite pegboard is one that is made of particleboard, and that uses metal hooks. This system might also be referred to as a masonite pegboard. Here are the pros and cons of composite pegboards.
Pros of a composite pegboard system:
- Affordable pegboard system
- Can be purchased at many home improvement and big box stores
- Lightweight system
Cons of a composite pegboard system:
- Moisture and oils can warp and damage composite materials
- Pegs of any size can become ill-fitting and damage the board over time
- Some smaller pegboards are too light for heavier tools
- Requires additional framework to space the pegboard away from the wall
Metal Pegboard Systems
Metal pegboard systems are probably the rarest of the three types due to their inherent disadvantages. The pro and cons of these systems are:
Pros of a metal pegboard system:
- Strong and durable system.
- It offers a sleek look that some prefer.
- Longer lasting than wood
- Easy to clean with a wet rag
Cons of a metal pegboard system:
- Heavy, making it difficult to install or relocate at a later date
- The weight of the pegboard itself in addition to tools could compromise drywall or wood beams
- The most expensive pegboard option
- May require a framework for wall spacing
- If you don’t use stainless steel, rust might become an issue in some climates
Plastic Pegboard Systems
On the surface, it may sound as if a plastic pegboard is going to be cheap and brittle, but this is actually far from the truth. A plastic pegboard from a vendor like Wallpeg Store is surprisingly durable, with several other advantages. Here are the pros and cons of this type of system.
Pros of a plastic pegboard system:
- Made from co-polymer plastic that won’t warp, bend, or sag
- Made from landfill diverted, reprocessed plastic, offering a smaller carbon footprint
- Will hold and support even the heaviest power tools
- Ready to mount out of the box and doesn’t need added spacers for wall distance
- Never needs painting and is easy to clean
- Is made in a variety of sizes for use in garages, hobby rooms, craft areas, and kitchens
Cons of a plastic pegboard system:
- Some people don’t like the look and feel of a co-polymer plastic despite its many advantages
As you choose the right pegboard system for your home, be sure to weigh all of the pros and cons of each product. While some systems might seem more popular or readily available on the market, they won’t last as long or support a wide range of tools and equipment.